Poor Kaleb
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Emergency Room Visit
We had a scary episode with Kaleb this week. He started with a fever early Tuesday morning and by lunch his fever was getting worse and he refused to drink anything which made me nervous to give him medicine. We had tried but he gagged and choked on it. I knew he was tired so I tried giving him his milk and laying him down for a nap, hoping he would feel better after some rest. As I was holding him, he didn't even want his milk and then he started shaking like he was cold. I figured he was cold with his fever so I pulled the blanket around him and noticed he calmed down a little as he seemed to follow something on the ceiling. I looked up but didn't see anything. His eyes slowly rolled back like he was watching something and then it dawned on me that he might be having a seizure. I called out to Sam who was luckily home for lunch and he tried putting the bottle to his lips. Kaleb didn't even push it away like he had done all morning. We then knew something was very wrong. I started to get my shoes on while Sam took him to the sink and put a cold washcloth on his face trying to make him snap out of it. He then threw up but still did not come to. He was completely lifeless. We rushed to the hospital (which is literally right around the corner... thank goodness!) and Sam ran into the Emergency Room who admitted him immediately while I gave information and realized Max and Benson were napping at home. I called a neighbor across the street and explained the situation and she said she would go over to be there for Max and Benson when they woke up. It wasn't until the staff at the Emergency Room poked him with the needles that he finally came to. He was out for at least 10-15 minutes. After he woke up, I held him and he threw up again... all over both of us! They got me a different shirt I could change into and started him on his IV. We were there about 4 or 5 hours until they got his fever under control and he started drinking and eating and acting like himself again. He was able to keep everything down, thanks to the nausea medicine and they released him to go home. We were able to keep fluids down him after we got home once his fever got under control. At the end of the day, my heart literally hurt... it ached. I had never experienced a febrile seizure and I think that's the scariest thing I've ever experienced. For a moment, I wondered if we had lost him. It came on so quickly and reminded me how precious our time in life is. So grateful he is okay and we still have our Kaleb!